Sunday, January 16, 2011

This Girls Got Range

Today I ran 15 miles.  This is my furthest run to date.  It felt amazing to run that far.  I can't say that my BODY feels all that amazing right now.  My muscles are pretty sore....but mentally I'm fantastic.  I feel strong, capable, and motivated.  This was the first time that I ventured out of the concrete jungle.  I didn't really know where I was headed.  All I knew was that I needed to find some dirt to run on to ease the damage a 15 miler would inevitably do to my body.  Also, running inside the same 10 mile radius can become uber tedious. I mean-YAWWWN, BOREFEST! So bring on the trails, baby.

I failed to effectively map it out ahead of time.  This means I had no idea of what I would encounter along the way.  How far would the trail take me? Would there be tons of tough hills?  Would there be a way to connect to a road that I would recognize so I could make my way home? (I tend to get hopelessly lost. This is always a concern.) Could I even gain access to the trail? Would there be a bathroom? Or would I have to relieve myself...al fresco.  What the hell, I figured, I'll just go for it. Come what may.

I found a trail that's in a nearby gated community. I'd be turned away if I tried to drive my crappy little Rav-4 in there without being invited.  Luckily, it turns out I can run in like a crazy person. As long as I have sweat flowing freely out of every pore, pant like a maniac, and strap a hideous fanny pack to my hind end. (Don't judge, I need it to hold my water and...stuff) So I was in. The trail I chose winds all the way along the edge of the community.  Then it opens up into a little mountain range.  Can it even be referred to as a range?--Probably not, but when you're running 15 miles for the first time it certainly feels range-y. Yes, there were lots of tough hills.  No, I did NOT know where I was going.--Truth be told I took the trail in the opposite direction then I had intended (shocking).  No, there was not a "bathroom" per-se.  Luckily for me nature did not call during this part of the run.  It all worked out gloriously.  None of the concerns I had earlier mattered anymore.

About 6 miles in I spotted a nearby peak.  I knew it would take a lot of extra energy to chug up there. Somehow I had a feeling it would be worth it.  After all, when I had started the run I told myself I would go on an adventure.  Why not take advantage of all the trail had to offer?  It was beautiful.  Isolated. Quiet. When I reached the peak at 8 miles in I felt like I had found a piece of heaven. I could see everything in spectacular 360 degree glory.  Million dollar homes on one side and and rolling hills as far as the eye could see on all of the others.  Green and ga-ga-gorgeous. I took a few precious minutes to appreciate the view...and appreciate the fact that my legs were able to carry me there.  I knew that instant that I would be back.  I was full of gratitude for all this trail had to offer.  My own little mountain range.

This is where I want to be with my running.  Tackling a huge mileage goal successfully and with a clear head.  And taking the time to enjoy the view.  That is what it's all about for me. A couple of hikers informed me that this particular goldmine of a trail winds all the way back to a highway....I'm guessing 10 miles or so from the peak of my tiny mountaintop. I can't wait to follow it the remainder of the way.  Maybe I'll even map it out next time.  I am excited to see where my next long run will take me. It will be 16 miles on Tuesday.  Let the adventures begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment